Rachael in GSO

Just a blog about my life, my knitting, my dogs, and my general state of confusion.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Secret Pal 9 Q's

I am doing Secret Pal 9 - YAY! I'm so excited that I answered all my questions already - so here they are:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I like anything merino or alpaca. I use regular wool to knit for other people, but I find it itchy. I absolutely HATE acrylic anything and novelty yarns, and I'm not a huge fan of cotton - it hurts my hands.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I don't have a good system for needle storage, I use denise circulars, so they sort of store themselves, but there are all sorts of other odds & ends that need keeping somewhere too.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I have been knitting about 4-5 years. I inherited my great-grandmother's knitting needles & decided I should pick up a book and give it a try. Everybody says I knit 'funny' - I hold my hands oddly, a cross of english and continental - I assume that's a result of learning from a book instead of a person, but it works for me! I think I'm intermediate - I gave up scarves a while ago unless somebody needs one, I have done a textured solid sweater and am working on a cardigan and a sweater for DH. 4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have an amazon wishlist.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

I have pretty severe allergies, so nothing really strong is good for me. But I like vanilla, cinnamon, citrus, cookie scents, that sort of thing - natural stuff.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

CHOCOLATE.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I crochet, but only blankets and not frequently. I love to cook. I also quilt and bead - though I've sort of given up on the beading at this point.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I love jazz standards and anything eclectic enough to be interesting. Yes, I can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love anything in the pink/red color family and almost anything vibrant - other than lime green, yellows, and oranges.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am married (May 28, 2006) and we have two cute, fuzzy little dogs.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I live in NC, so the need for winter accessories is arguable, but that doesn't stop me from knitting them... I wear scarves, hats & mittens. I'm not a poncho fan.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

So far I'm loving sweaters that I have designed myself. I like socks, though I've only finished one, and I like making bags too.

13. What are you knitting right now?

A sock (second to the above mentioned), two sweaters, a bag, and a vest.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I prefer circular needles. I like bamboo...the knitpicks metal needles are pretty good & the Denise circulars are the 'good' kind of plastic. Mostly I'm happy with just my Denise.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

No - I've been considering putting one or the other on my wish list for Christmas.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

A crocheted blanket I started 7 or 8 years ago.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Not really.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I've been thinking about buying Barbara Walker's book - Knitting from the Top, or one of her pattern books. And I would love to get my hands on one of the out of print Alice Starmore fair isle books. I am also experimenting with dyeing, but haven't moved past koolaid yet, I've been considering buying some 'real' dyes, but don't know where to start. I subscribe to Vogue & Interweave.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

see #20 - Fair Isle & dyeing.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I guess so - I am 'stashing' sock yarn & I have finished one whole sock. I think I'll stick with it. I wear a size 7 medium.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

06/06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Previous List Next
RingSurf

Powered by Blogger